Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Chile Verde Salsa

salsa-verde
This recipe has a total of three ingredients. You know I love recipes like that! Green, spicy, tomatillo salsa, perhaps the best I’ve had. This recipe comes from my academic advisor. His name? Jose Gomez. He’s a pretty awesome guy and of course you know I love anyone who will willing to share recipes with me. I didn’t change his recipe in the sligtest and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. A quick note about tomatillos. They are NOT green tomatoes. They are apart of the gooseberry family and have green papery husks that need to be removed before eating them. When you remove the husk, they have this sticky stuff on them that needs to be gently rinsed off under cool water.

What You Need:

10-12 tomatillos
2-3 cloves of garlic
2-3 Serrano chilies (about the size of your pinky – more if you like it really spicy)

What To Do:

1) Peel the husks of the tomatillos and wash themtomitillos
2) Peel the garlic cloves and wash them
3) Wash the serranos then chop the stems off
4) Place the tomatillos in a sauce pan (large enough that the tomatillos form a single layer) and fill with enough water to just cover the tomatillos – add the garlic and serranos, making sure they are submerged. Bring to a rolling boil then turn the flame to low and simmer for at least 45 mins, making sure the water doesn’t boil away.
5) Using a slotted spoon, place the tomatillos, garlic and chilies in a blender and maybe ½ a cup of water (see note below) from the sauce pan. Purée. (don’t forget to put the lid on the blender)
6) Let salsa cool then serve with chips. (NOT FRITOS)
NOTE: I didn’t add any water to my blender and it was the perfect consistency in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about this recipe! Please leave a comment and make sure to include you email so that I can reply to you!

 
HostGator Promotion Code
x

Get Our Latest Posts Via Email - It's Free

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner