Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Rancho Beans

It's another chilly day here in Pennsylvania, not even 60 outside, which means it's slow cooker day! I love, love, love, using my slow cooker. I don't have to worry about preparing a meal at the end of the day and I know whatever I throw in there will be hot, juicy and delicious! Rancho beans is like chili, only not, which makes it one of my husbands favorite meals because it's not spicy at all. This recipe came from a woman who I bought an old fashion bean pot from. I've made some changes to it along the way to suit my family, plus it takes only minutes to make.

Rancho Beans

Ingredients:
Original recipe:
2 green peppers chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
Photobucket1 med onion, chopped
1lb ground beef
1 c ketchup
2 1lb cans of your favorite pork and beans or baked beans
1/2c brown sugar
2tbs mustard
1lb can red kidney beans
What I add:
1 pkg of all beef hotdogs
another 1lb can of red kidney beans
and sometimes I'll add in a splash of apple cider vinegar

Directions:
If you start this in the morning then don't worry about cooking the beef first. Just put everything in the slow cooker and stir it to combine. Put it on high and let it cook.
I often don't get around to it till the afternoon so I brown the meat along with the onions, peppers, and garlic. Then add it and the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker, stirring to combine. Set it to high and let it go.

Don't worry if it looks dry. As it cooks it liquid in the veggies will be released and it will create a sauce. Hubby likes to eat it with some saltines crumbled into it and I enjoy it with a slice of bread.



H A P P Y   C O O K I N G !!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about this recipe! Please leave a comment and make sure to include you email so that I can reply to you!

 
HostGator Promotion Code
x

Get Our Latest Posts Via Email - It's Free

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner