Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Luck of the Irish!

I don't know what it is about corn beef but I love it. I love it so much that I've learned how to make my own. I use a better cut of meat that I buy when it's on sale and because of that it's much less fatty then the corned brisket you would get in the store. New England boiled dinner is pretty much the same thing as corn beef and cabbage with the exception that the boiled dinner usually uses ham. There are a few musts when making corn beef and cabbage. The first is to use a slow cooker. It keeps it flavorful and juicy and lets the meat just fall apart. The second is carrots. You have to put carrots in with it. I don't know why that is but if you don't it just doesn't taste right. And the last must is vinegar. It's used as a condiment for the cabbage. The tang enhances the flavor and I even put a little on my potatoes.


Corn Beef and Cabbage
Ingredients:
2-3lb corn beef
1 tbs pickling spice (or use the packet that comes with most corn beef)
4 lrg potatoes
1lb carrots, ends removed and peeled.
Parsnips (optional)


In the crockpot place your beef fat side up and sprinkle with pickling spice.






 
Layer in the potatoes








Then the carrots and cabbage 
Add enough water to come at least 3/4 the way up. Put the lid on and cook on low all day or on high for about 5 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about this recipe! Please leave a comment and make sure to include you email so that I can reply to you!

 
HostGator Promotion Code
x

Get Our Latest Posts Via Email - It's Free

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner