Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Deep Dish Blueberry Pie

bluepie

I LOVE berry season. You can find sweet, juicy berries for a fraction of the cost any other time of year. I bought 4 pounds of blueberry for $4 on my last grocery trip. Yes I said 4 pounds for $4. It’s pretty amazing when you think about it. Any other time of the year you’re paying at least $4 for one of those 1/2 pint clam shells. Since I received such a great deal on these berries, I made a pie for hubby. I normally don’t do berry pies. I like making scones or adding them into pancakes, but my dear husband has been putting long hours at work. I’m talking 80 hour work weeks right now. He even worked over the July 4th holiday when the rest of his work had off for 5 days. I figured a pie made from his favorite fruit/flavor would be a nice thing to do. Oh and here’s a secret tip. Most of the time you’ll see blueberry pie with a lattice top or a top crust with slits in them. To me this boring! So I took a small cookie cutter, a heart to be precise, and cut a bunch of them out of my top crust. I then laid them over the blueberries and when it comes out of the oven, you have this beautiful pie with lots of hearts of top. Now that my friends, is true love!


What You Need:

6 cup blueberries (just over 2 lbs)
1 recipe perfect pie dough
1/4 c sugar
1/3 c flour
2 tbs butter
juice and zest of 1 lemon
1/8 tsp fresh grated nutmeg

Egg Wash
1 egg
1tbs whole milk, cream or half and half


What To Do:

PieCut your rested and chilled pie dough in half, roll out and fit into a deep dish pie dish. Keep the other half in the fridge. Make sure to have about an inch of over hang so that you can create a fluted edge. It’s actually pretty simple. Fold the excess dough under the edge, then take the thumb of your left hand and place it on the outside of the dough. Take your thumb and index finger of your right hand and from the inside of the pie dough, press outward, sort of sandwiching your left thumb in-between the fingers on your right. Continue doing this all the way around the pie, creating a fluted crust.  In a large bowl, gently mix the berries, sugar, flour, lemon juice, zest and nutmeg. Pour into the pie dish and dot with the butter. Place back into the fridge and grab the remain pie dough. Roll this half out to about 1/4 inch thick and cut several hearts, stars etc from it. Remove the pie from the fridge and arrange the cutouts on top, leaving holes here and there. Place the pie back into the fridge. Turn your oven onto 400 degree to preheat. Combine the egg together with the milk, whisking it well so that the egg is broken down into the milk. You’re pie should be fully chilled by the time your oven is preheated, so remove it from the fridge and use a pastry brush to pain the egg wash onto all areas of exposed pie dough. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until bubbly and the juices appear thickened.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about this recipe! Please leave a comment and make sure to include you email so that I can reply to you!

 
HostGator Promotion Code
x

Get Our Latest Posts Via Email - It's Free

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner