Monday, May 23, 2011

Cheese Steak Pasta



I have had this idea in my head for a while, it just sort of came to me. I thought I was a real genius! I had never heard of anyone making a cheese steak pasta dish before. I did a quick search to confirm my genius and it turns out I wasn't as great as I though. How the mighty have fallen! At any rate, pasta, cheese, steak, onion and peppers? Yes please! I used pappardelle pasta for this dish. The very wide flat noodle worked perfectly so that the whole dish intertwined. If you don't have access to pappardelle, tagliatelle or even fettuccine would work just as well. This recipe makes a ton of food. I really thought I was going to have lots of leftovers and be able to enjoy it the again the next night. I was wrong, my husband and his brother gobbled it down. I thought they were going to lick the bowl clean! You are sure to love this recipe!

What You Need:

1 lb pappardelle pasta
1 lb steak (sirloin or london broil work well), very thinly sliced
2 bell peppers, thinly sliced
2 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups milk
3tbs flour
1/3 lb shredded Gruyère
1/2 lb provolone
salt and pepper

What To Do:

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. In the meantime, heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Once the pan is hot, cook the steak, in batches if necessary, until browned and almost cooked. To help cut the steak very thin, place it in the freezer for 15-20 before slicing. This will firm the meat up a bit and help in the slicing. Once the meat is cooked, remove to a large bowl, leaving behind any drippings. Cook the onions, peppers and garlic in the same pan until the onions are translucent and the peppers have softened. Once done, remove the bowl with the steak. Once your water starts to boil, salt it heavily and toss in the pasta. While the pasta is cooking, whisk the 3 tbs of flour with the drippings from cooking the meat and peppers. Slowly whisk in the milk, turn the heat to high and whisk often until the milk has thickened slightly. Season with salt and pepper and slowly whisk in the cheeses a little bit at a time. Turn the heat to low to keep it warm until the pasta is done. Place the meat and pepper mixture into the pot with the cheese, to warm it back through. Once the pasta is cooked, toss everything together and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about this recipe! Please leave a comment and make sure to include you email so that I can reply to you!

 
HostGator Promotion Code
x

Get Our Latest Posts Via Email - It's Free

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner