Sunday, June 20, 2010

Stove Top Eggplant Parmesan

I know I've said this a lot lately but during the summer, I honestly hate truing on the oven. It's hot enough without adding the heat of turning on my gas stove. It does, however, leave few choices on what to make for supper. I can't tell you how many cheeseburgers, BBQ Chicken samies, and bratwurst we've eaten since the weather has gotten hot. Craving something different, I started digging through my freezer and found some eggplant I had left over from the the last time I made eggplant Parmesan. During the colder months when I do use my oven quite a bit, I tend to make extra of whatever it is that I'm making that night. Eggplant, that has been breaded and cooked freezes well and I thought to myself, well it's just eggplant, tomato sauce and cheese so why can't I do it on top of the stove? I tried it and it was pretty darn good! Took a lot less time too, since the eggplant was already made and I just basically heating everything through. If you don't have any already cooked eggplant in your freezer, you can easily make some for the dish by slicing the eggplant into rounds, breading it by dipping it into egg and then into bread crumbs and cooking in a tiny bit of oil in a skillet. I cooked up some spaghetti and made a quick salad to go along with it. There was plenty of sauce in the pan with the eggplant for the spaghetti so I didn't have to make any extra.

What You Need:

Several slices of breaded and cooked eggplant
1 (28oz) crushed tomatoes
1 tsp dried oregano
2 cloves minced garlic
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

What To Do:



In a large skillet, heat the tomatoes together with the oregano and garlic. Let simmer for about 15 minutes. Arrange the slices of eggplant into the sauce, pressing them down to be covered.






Sprinkle with cheese. Place a lid on and simmer for another 5-10 minutes until the eggplant is heated through and the cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about this recipe! Please leave a comment and make sure to include you email so that I can reply to you!

 
HostGator Promotion Code
x

Get Our Latest Posts Via Email - It's Free

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner