Monday, June 14, 2010

Beef and Broccoli



Who doesn't like the american version of Chinese food? The saucy, mostly fried goodness that you get from most  Chinese restaurants is full of MSG among other less desirable ingredients. However, I know a lot of you foodies across the land can't pass it up on occasion. That's why I've tried making my own on a few different occasions. You might remember a couple months back I posted a recipe called General Oranges Chicken, my version of a General Taos. Well today's recipe is Beef and Broccoli and very easily adaptable into chicken and broccoli or even shrimp and broccoli. Just change the type of protein your using and adjust your cooking times accordingly. This recipe calls for flank steak, however when I went to purchase the flank steak I notice that it was twice the price of sirloin steak and almost the same cost as a rib eye steak or strip steak. So of course, I went with the sirloin. Again it just shows how easy it is to change up a recipe to suit your budgets, tastes and lifestyle. One quick note: It's easier to thinly slice the steak or chicken if it's still partially frozen. I've also used left over steak that I've thinly sliced.

What You Need:

1/2lb flank or sirloin steak, thinly sliced.
3/4lb broccoli florets
2 tbs veg or canola oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1tbs water

Marinade:
1 tsp soy
1 tsp rice wine vinegar
1/2 tsp cornstarch
salt and pepper

Sauce:
2 tbs oyster sauce
1 tsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbs soy
1/4c chicken broth

What To Do:
Combine the marinade ingredients and let sit on the meat for at least 10 minutes.
Combine the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
Blanch the broccoli and set aside.Heat a large sauté pan or wok over hight heat. Add in the oil and cook the meat in a single layer, stirring once to get both sides. Add in the garlic, sauce, and broccoli. Bring to a boil. Stir in the dissolved cornstarch and cook until the sauce thickens.
Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about this recipe! Please leave a comment and make sure to include you email so that I can reply to you!

 
HostGator Promotion Code
x

Get Our Latest Posts Via Email - It's Free

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner