Thursday, September 16, 2010

How To Make: Bread Crumbs

Making your own bread crumbs is so easy you'll wonder why you ever bought them in the store. Not only that but it's a money saver too. If you've been following me over the past year you know that I'm a mom of two. My oldest is almost 2 years old and like most children, she hates the crust on her bread. I cut them off before making her sandwich, but instead of throwing them away and wasting money, I place them into a zip top bag and then into the freezer. Once the bag is full, I make breadcrumbs! I also use the ends of bread that everyone leaves in the bag. Why throw money in the trash when you can do something with it! What's really great about making your own is that you can use whole wheat bread, making it healthier for your family.

What You Need:

Crust and Ends of Bread
Your favorite herbs

What To Do:

Take the ends of your bread and pop them into the toaster, toast until nice and dark. Preheat your oven to 350 and scatter the crusts into a single a layer on a baking sheet. Bake until dried out and toasted. Once cooled, pop everything into a food processor and let it whirl until the bread is broken down into crumbs. From there you can add in your favorite herbs such as oregano, parsley, and thyme, and give it another pulse to combine or leave them plain. Place the crumbs back into a zip top bag and store in the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about this recipe! Please leave a comment and make sure to include you email so that I can reply to you!

 
HostGator Promotion Code
x

Get Our Latest Posts Via Email - It's Free

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner