Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Halushki


Halushki is a Slovakian dish of noddles and cabbage, however my husband calls this pasta dish by the same name. Is this the true name? Probably not but it's what his grandfather calls it as well. In fact it seems like every dish is called Halushki and that is most likely because of my ignorance of Slovakian cuisine and pronunciations of their dishes. When my husband first asked me to make him this dish we were house sitting for a friend of my moms. I was looking for simple things to make while we were there so I didn't have much to clean. Now I do have to warn you, I gave my husband a look of disgust when he told me just what was in this pasta. The three main ingredients are very good on their own but I was very skeptical how well they would taste together. In all honesty, I was scared to eat it!!! I made it for him anyway, always a firm believer that something has to be tried before saying that it's gross. While I apply this rule to all food items you will never see me try a Rocky Mountain Oyster or Chitterlings/Chitlins. If you're not familiar with what those two dishes are then I encourage you to click the links and expand your culinary mind. If you've ever had either of those dishes, please let me know how they were!
Back to the matter at hand. I know this dish is going to seem strange to a lot of you, but I do urge you to take a walk on the wild side and give it a try.

What You Need:

1lb box small shell pasta
3 large onions, sliced
2 tbs butter
1 tbs olive oil
1 (16oz) container small curd cottage cheese
salt 
pepper

What To Do:

Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package.
Meanwhile, heat the butter and olive oil together in a large skillet. Sauté the onions over medium heat, until caramelized. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn the heat to the lowest possible setting and add in the cottage cheese. Drain the pasta and add to the skillet with the onions and cottage cheese. Stir together well. The cottage cheese will almost melt and coat the pasta. Serve as a side or main dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about this recipe! Please leave a comment and make sure to include you email so that I can reply to you!

 
HostGator Promotion Code
x

Get Our Latest Posts Via Email - It's Free

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner