Monday, July 26, 2010

Corned Beef Hash and Eggs

Growing up, when my father was home for breakfast, it was an all out food occasion. He liked his big breakfasts! Bacon, or sausage, eggs, home fries, pancakes, and toast, big was not the word for it. One thing he liked a ton was corned beef hash. Do you know the stuff I'm talking about? It comes in a can, is full of salt and fat and quite frankly looks a lot like cat food. Now I'm not saying it wasn't tasty. I've eaten my fair share of it, but being an adult with a family has made me change my mind on a lot of foods that cross my table. If I can make it myself and it's relativity easy and cost effective then I'm all for it! The best part is that when it comes out good, I get to share it with you! However, before I give you the recipe there are just a couple things I want to note. The first is that I make my own corned beef and there are two ways you can do this. The first way is combining salt, water and spices and letting the meat soak and suck up the brine for up to 3 weeks depending on the recipe you use. The next is what I do. It takes 3 to 5 days and uses pickling spices and a special Corned Beef Cure which I purchase from the Sausage Maker website. I also don't use brisket because frankly it's not available to me here so I buy london broil cuts of beef when they're on sale. I also use venison (deer meat) which is what I have used in the recipe below. One more quick note. When you go to season your hash, I highly recommend that you taste it before adding any salt at all. Since the meat is brined in salt to start with, you might not need any in your final dish.

What You Need:

Left Over Corned Beef, cut into a small dice
2 potatoes, cut into a small dice
3 tbs veg oil
1 tsp dried thyme
2 tbs ketchup
2 tbs water
1/2 tsp black pepper
salt to taste

What To Do:


Heat a large sauté pan to medium high and add in the veg oil. Start cooking the potatoes until they start to soften. Add in the corned beef and continue cooking, stirring occasionally until everything is lightly browned. You'll noticed I didn't give a measurement for the corned beef. This is because you can use left over corned beef or a whole corned beef that you've previously cooked just for making hash. You want roughly the same about of corned beef as potato, if not a bit more. When I make it, I'll use about a cup more of corned beef compared to the potatoes. Sprinkle with the thyme and pepper and give it a stir. Mix together the ketchup with the water and stir into the hash. Season with salt. At this point, you can continue cooking the hash as is until the liquid is absorbed and the potatoes are nice and soft, or you can let the mixture cool and shape into patties and freeze for when you want them. To cook them, just heat a bit of oil in a pan and cook until browned on both sides. Serve with Sunny Side Up Eggs on top. You want to the break the yokes and let it mix with the hash. It's the only way to eat it if you ask me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about this recipe! Please leave a comment and make sure to include you email so that I can reply to you!

 
HostGator Promotion Code
x

Get Our Latest Posts Via Email - It's Free

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner