Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Cole Slaw

Cole slaw is one of those dishes that are made in so many different ways and can be hard to nail down a great recipe. My husband is very picky when it comes to salads of this type. He's not a fan of mayo so when I make potato salad, macaroni salad or Cole slaw I'm very careful with how much I put in it. I finally decided to ask him what he didn't like about Cole slaw and was told that most had way to much mayo and way to much vinegar, both of which he doesn't care for. So on the search I went. Most recipes out there were very similar and some were so off the wall that I didn't even take a second look. One thing to remember is that cabbage is full of water and that water will leach out of the cabbage and into the dressing, making more of it.

What You Need:

1/3 c mayo (not the salad dressing kind)
juice of half a lemon
1 tbs mustard (any type will do but Dijon or spicy brown work best)
Splash of cider vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 small onion, grated
1 bag of shredded cabbage and carrots
salt and pepper

What To Do:

In a large bowl, combined the mayo, lemon juice, mustard, sugar and cider vinegar, whisking well to combine. Grate the onion, using a box grater into the dressing. Season with salt and pepper and mix in the cabbage mix.
As I mentioned above, it won't look like there is enough dressing, but once you let it sit for a bit, give it another stir and it will be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about this recipe! Please leave a comment and make sure to include you email so that I can reply to you!

 
HostGator Promotion Code
x

Get Our Latest Posts Via Email - It's Free

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner