Friday, March 19, 2010

Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes

This house loves pancakes. I make them quite often for my husband and daughter but normally I just use Bisquick or another type of instant pancake mix. One morning, I had some leftover buttermilk that I didn't know what to do with. I had planned on making blueberry pancakes so instead of pulling out the Bisquick, I decided to make homemade blueberry buttermilk pancakes. Let me tell you how awesome these pancakes are! In reality they weren't much harder then opening the box of instant pancake mix, but the taste was incredible. So incredible in fact, that I don't think I"ll be using an instant pancake mix again for a long time. These cakes are fluffy, sweet and sort of tangy. They rise up and become beautifully light and fluffy as long as you don't over mix the batter. You can ruin any pancake by over mixing, just like a muffin or quick bread batter. I really hope you gives these a try the next time your in the mood for some goodness. You won't be disappointed.

What You Need:

2 cups flour
1/4 c sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 c buttermilk (make sure to shake it well before each use)
1/4 c butter, melted plus more for the griddle
1 c blueberry, either fresh or frozen

What To Do:

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add in the eggs, buttermilk and melted butter. Whisk until just combined. The batter will be lumpy and this is what you want. If it seems to thick, you can add in a bit more buttermilk. Fold in the blueberries and let the batter sit for about 15-20 minutes. Giving it a chance to rest will let the baking powder activate and produce fluffy pancakes.

Heat your griddle and butter generously. Ladle a bit of the batter onto the griddle and cook until the edges start to look dry and bubbles form on the top of the cake. Then flip over to finish cooking. The second side, will cook much quicker then the first. Remove to a plate and continue making pancakes until all the batter is gone. This recipe makes plenty for a family of four. Serve with maple syrup.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about this recipe! Please leave a comment and make sure to include you email so that I can reply to you!

 
HostGator Promotion Code
x

Get Our Latest Posts Via Email - It's Free

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner