Friday, April 23, 2010

Product Review: POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice

A few weeks ago I was contacted by someone from POM Wonderful. They had come across the site and thought I might be interested in trying they're 100% Pomegranate Juice. Let me tell you how excited I was! Never in a million years did I think that when I started this site last year that people would want ME to try their stuff! So I sent her a reply with my address and about a week or so later the UPS man shows up with an entire CASE of POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice.
I have to say I was a tad nervous about trying it. I had never had a pomegranate before because of being told how tart it was, plus I wasn't sure what I could actually do with a pomegranate. My husband and I both opened up a bottle and took a sip. WOW! This stuff was really good. It almost tasted like cranberry juice but without that lip puckering tartness that cranberry juice tends to have. So I take a look at the ingredients, thinking they must have put some sort of sugar in it, but I was happily wrong! The only ingredient in the juice was the juice!
So besides the fact that it tastes pretty darn good and has no sugar in it, pomegranate juice is also full of secret powers! You know what I'm talking about! Those antioxidants that everyone is always talking about these days. In fact it has more antioxidant power then red wine, grape juice and green tea!! There have been several published studies showing that POM Wonderful's pomegranate juice has great effects on cardiovascular and prostate health. You can find out more about the great effects of of POM Wonderful's juice by visiting pomwonderful.com.

Now besides just drinking the tasty juice, I made a couple things with it. First I made pomegranate molasses, which is nothing more then the juice and a bit of sugar that has been reduced down to make a thick syrup. It's used in a of greek and middle eastern cooking. To make it all you need is 2 cup of POM Wonderful Pomegranate Juice and 1/4 cup of sugar. Cook over medium high heat until the sugar has dissolved, the reduce the heat to medium low and let simmer for about an hour or until you have about 1/2 cup left and it has become thick and syrupy.
Then I made some BBQ Sauce by taking the half cup of pomegranate molasses that I had just made and combining it with the following:
1 (6oz can) tomato paste
1/2 onion, finely minced
3 cloves garlic, minced or 1 tsp garlic powder
1/3 c cider vinegar
2 tbs honey
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
pinch of red pepper flakes
Water

Whisk it all together, adding in water if you like a thinner consistency sauce. Bring to a gentle boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat so that the sauce is just barely simmering and let cook 5-10 minutes so that the garlic and onion has a chance to cook through. Let cool before storing in the fridge for at least 24 hours before you use it. This allows the flavors to come together.

I used the bbq sauce on some grilled pork steaks the other night and it was incredible! There is a hint of spice from the pepper and a slight tartness that compliments each other very well!

1 comment:

  1. You're turning more and more into the movie Julie and Julia every time I read! I'm about to make Alec go to the store with me to get some of this juice!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think about this recipe! Please leave a comment and make sure to include you email so that I can reply to you!

 
HostGator Promotion Code
x

Get Our Latest Posts Via Email - It's Free

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner